Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #2

 Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #2

What did you learn this week in the lab?

  • This week in lab we studied more in depth about the National Generation Science Standards. I learned about the three dimensions of the NGSS standards including the eight SEPs (Science and Engineering practices), four DCIs (Disciplinary Core Ideas), and seven CCCs (Crosscutting concepts). I learned the importance of these standards and why we should incorporate those into our classroom teaching.

How can you apply what you have learned to your teaching in the future?

  • We can build units, lessons, and overall curriculum from these standards. These standards strive to make learning science in the classroom interactive for students with different learning styles. 

What are new or remaining questions?

  • Growing up in the state of Iowa, we have our own state standards for the classroom. I'm interested in science educators in the state of Iowa if their state standards are inspired by some of the core concepts from the NGSS standards. And how they try to incorporate NGSS standards into the classroom. 

Comments

  1. I like how in your first question you covered pretty much all of what we learned this week! I also noticed how we can search these standards to better teach our students. Your question was something I have not thought about before, but something important to consider as this is the state we are becoming educators in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great question! I grew up in Illinois so I'm interested in learning about their approach to the NGSS and what other standards they follow. I also agree that these standards help students with different learning styles. It allows the class to be more engaging and helpful for students to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sully! I love how you discussed the NGSS in your post because it will be a crucial part to lesson planning in the near future :) I look forward to reading new updates as the semester moves forward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #10

Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #3

Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #11