Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #3
Elementary Science Methods 1: Week #3
What did you learn this week in the lab?
- This week in lab we learned about the process of germination. Germination is the process by which a seed grows from a seed to a seedling. We also discussed what variables make something living or non-living, also known as active or dormant. From this information, we were able to apply it to the different activities we did in class.
Which parts did you find clear and which were confusing?
- When we first began the germination activity, I was a little confused on the directions of the activity. I wasn't sure if the seeds were supposed to go on top of the cotton balls or bellow them. I also wasn't sure on how much water to put in my cup. After asking for further direction I was able to get my questions answered.
How can you apply what you have learned to your teaching in the future?
- In science courses application is huge in having students connect what they are learning in class to activities and lab work. I would use our Germination activity by putting our seeds in the cup with cotton balls and adding moisture to use as an activity when learning about germination. Teaching content and adding an activity to pair with it helps student retention when learning new information.

Hi Claire! I love your representation of a frog's life cycle! I also feel you on the germination activity, I wasn't quite sure about the order of directions but look forward to seeing our plants grow!
ReplyDeleteHi Claire,
ReplyDeleteI also agree with being confused by the amount of water and wondering how it will affect the growth of the plants. I do want to say that your playdough life cycle looks amazing.
Hi Claire! I love how you included an image of the life cycle you created and how you would connect your learning in science to your future teaching. Like you said, connecting learning, class activities, and labs are much needed!
ReplyDeleteHi Claire! I really liked this blog post. I too, was a little confused at first during our germination activity in class, but after asking questions I was able to participate in the activity, and it made a lot more sense to me. I'm a hands-on learner so the life cycle activity with play dough, and the seed germination process we did in class helped me grasp the material we were learning.
ReplyDeleteHi Claire! My group also did a frog and I am in awe of how cute yours looks and pretty realistic I might add. I also thought this week was great practice for what we can do in our future classrooms and will help guide me through future lessons.
ReplyDelete